Wednesday, December 29, 2010

story of the hamster ball --- by M

A couple of years ago I was taking care of a friend’s hamster for a few days and was told that he liked to run around in his little hamster ball for a large part of the day. Therefore, I put the little guy in his ball and let him loose in the downstairs portion of our home. I went upstairs to do some computer work and could hear the ball occasionally hit a wall or the marble step-up in the entry. After a little while, it occurred to me that this was not just an occasional hitting against a barrier, but something was a miss. As I came down the stairs, I saw Jesse standing with the hamster ball in his mouth. His tail wagging excitedly, his eyes saying….”OMG what a great new toy you got me….” then dropped the ball and gave it a push with his nose, chasing after the rolling hamster.

Loosing my cool for my stupidity of forgetting that Jesse might be in the house when the hamster was in the ball, I screeched to “LEAVE IT!”

When I retrieved the hamster, he was a bit offended, but all right. The little guy survived his ordeal as a “toy” but I know he will forever hate Jesse and me.  When my neighbor returned, I told her what happened, just incase there was some residual problem, and she told me they’ve had the same thing happen more than a couple of times, but with their cats.

 That tough little hamster is still rolling around to this day.

1 comment:

  1. He he he he! Can't stop laughing. Naughty mummy for taking away your new toy. XX

    ReplyDelete