CatLitter Bags repurposed into Grocery Bags
|use it just like a paper grocery bag|
warning: the first time I used these at the pet store it took me an extra ten minutes to get past the register... everyone wanted to see and hear about the bags.
*** The last batch I made I use the Plexiglas plastic panels that covers florescent lighting, my work was changing them and I asked for several sheets. These are fabulous because they are much sturdier than cardboard, and if they get wet or dirty... just give them and the bag a good cleaning.
Decorate your tub however you like, ribbons, photos, stickers. If you're a scrap-booker...then treat it like a page (just remember if you plan on putting an acetate cover to protect it, it needs to be flat.
I kept one of these in the back of my car so if out and about and the pooch needed to go, I just pulled out a couple of baggies and was ready when he was.
If you purchase bagged pet foods and toss them in your recycle bin - Please read this!
Do you throw your empty pet food bags in the recycling bin? I used to until the recycling guys pointed out that dog and cat food bags can't be recycled. I didn't realize that most pet food bags were made with several layers of brown craft-type paper with at least two plastic seals sandwiched within the paper. These plastic seals mean the bag can not be recycled with the mixed paper, unless the paper has been separated from the plastic.
To remove the plastic liners so that the bag can be recycled, the bag must first be turned inside out. Once reversed, grab hold of the inner plastic liner and pull it away from the paper. After this inner liner has been removed, peel back the layers of paper until you've located the second plastic liner. Separate this liner from the remaining layers of paper as well. The paper can now be placed in the recycling bin with the mixed paper, and the seals should be disposed of in the rubbish bin.
Since it takes quite a bit of time to prepare a pet food bag for recycling, we now just save our empty dog and cat food bags to use in an assortment of practical ways around the house.
- Shipping pouches For shipping paper items, clothing items or perishables, cat food bags make terrific waterproof mailers. I simply turn the bag inside out, pack the item inside the bag, then staple and tape shut. The mailing address can be written on the outside of the mailer with a permanent marker or on a pre-pasted address label.
- Storage Storing greasy automotive or tractor parts? A large dog food bag is ideal for this use. Large pet food bags can also be used to wrap art objects and other breakables for transport. The waterproof liner prevents the art work from getting damaged and the multiple layers of paper provide extra padding.
- Garden waste For gardeners, large cat or dog food bags are perfect airtight containers for collecting those noxious weeds that have no place in a compost bin; weeds such as puncture vine, Scotch and Russian thistle, field bindweed, and others. I keep an empty dog food bag in the corner of my garden shed just for these type of weeds, and close the bag with a clothes pin to prevent seed pods from escaping. Once the bag is completely full, it is stapled shut and placed it out with the rubbish for pickup.Large pet food bags can also be used to gather up thorny yard waste that ordinarily would puncture a regular trash bag.
- Fireplace ashes When cleaning out the fireplace, a large dog food bag is a great container for holding wood ashes. The bag is strong enough to hold quite a bit of weight and can be easily carried out to the compost pile where it can be dumped and reused for another time. For families who don't compost wood ashes, the bag can be stapled shut and tossed in the garbage can.
- To contain smelly garbage Whether it's dog droppings or spoiled food, there's some things we really don't want stinking up our garbage can. Cat food bags do an amazing job of containing odor, are practically puncture proof, and are perfect for storing smelly garbage. We roll the top of the bag closed and staple it shut to keep those smelly odors contained.
- As a surface protector By slicing a large dog or cat food bag open along the side and bottom seam, you can create a water proof pad that measures approximately three by three feet. This is a perfect size for protecting the garage floor when changing the oil in a chain saw, lawn mower or car. I also use an opened dog food bag to protect my kitchen table when painting craft items or repotting plants.